Wednesday, November 01, 2006

6 weeks...

We are off to see the GI doctor and Nutritionist for Jackie today. It has been 6 weeks since she has been diagnosed with Celiacs and I think I am finally getting a handle on the whole thing.
I am interested to see how the Doctor feels about her recovery etc. We all, M, N, and I had our blood tests come back and all of us turned out negative for celiacs. So it is only poor little Jackie who has the disease.
I think I have a pretty good handle on the whole thing regarding what she can and cannot eat. I am not too sure about my mother who thought it would be ok for her to have turkey on Thanksgiving that had been stuffed with NON GF bread. Until I explained to her the fact that every time the turkey is basted it is going to spread Gluten into the meat. She thought I was crazy to make a whole thanksgiving dinner to bring with me for Jackie, which is my plan even though we have not decided where we are going to do Thanksgiving this year yet. Although I know my parents will be here visiting as my dad took the whole week off, and they plan on driving here.

I experimented with a few recipes over the weekend as I had our friend S to "test" things on at Shazzy annual Halloween Party. I was pretty impressed with the outcome of all of the stuff I made. Carrot Cake cupcakes, Vanilla Wafers, and Ginger snaps, all Gluten Free. I think most every one was impressed with them as they were pretty much gone when we left. I have ordered a cookbook from Borders that I found most of the recipes that I have been used, as I cannot keep the Library copy forever.

So off to the doctors.

No comments: